Thursday, April 20, 2006

Can You See The Owl


Psalm 119:99: I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes.

Revelation 1:3:
Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.

My church has a campground in Illinois where we have a large music and arts festival every year. There is a large lake and many smaller ponds on the festival grounds, one of these is called the Bass Pond because the big bass are usually in there. Behind this pond are a group of dense trees. In this area is a family of Horned Owls a male a female and usually owlets in February and March. Sometimes cruising my binoculars across the front of these trees I can spot an adult sitting very still. Owls are easy to miss especially Screech Owls, Barred Owls and Horned Owls. I always have to keep a sharp eye to spot one, looking over and over in the same spot till the owl finally jumps out at you like one of those puzzle pictures you stair at for 10 minutes until the picture hidden in the mess finally emerges. A lot of birding is like this, trying to spot a certain bird in the foliage or a distant tree can be challenging depending on the environment. You have to get a look at the “big picture” to see the little bird in the middle of it all.

Scripture can be the same way. I have read a certain passage for years and then one day I will read it again and the Holy Spirit will let me see a meaning to the scripture I have never seen before. All of a sudden that scripture is helping me in the environment the Lord has placed me in at that moment. Something I have skimmed by in my reading now has a deeper meaning after meditating and looking upon with my spiritual “binoculars”.
So remember to keep meditating on God’s Word something exciting may be there you have never seen before.

1 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Blogger Larry said...

I love some of the interesting vocalizations Barred owls make.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home